- Long Beach Police
- Fire Department
- Alamitos, Long Beach - (562) 570-1037
- Bach, Long Beach - (562) 570-1038
- Dana, Long Beach - (562) 570-1042
- El Dorado, Long Beach - (562) 570-1043
- Los Alamitos, Long Beach - (562) 430-1048
- LA County, Lakewood - (562) 421-8498
- California Boaters Hotline
- California State Lottery Recording
- Recording: (24-hours)
Time of Day
- Recording: (24-hours)
- Recording: (24-hours)
Department of Motor Vehicles
New residents who come from out of state need to register vehicles in California within 20 days. Take your most recently issued registration, smog certificate and purchase information to your nearest DMV office. The fee is based on the value of the vehicle. California residents who drive motor vehicles on public highways must have a valid California driver's license. When you make your home in the state, you must get a California driver's license within 10 days.
Please contact one of the offices listed for further information or to schedule an appointment.
Local DMV Offices
- 9520 East Artesia Blvd
Bellflower, CA 90706
- 3700 East Willow St.
Long Beach, CA 90815
Chambers of Commerce
- Long Beach
These hospitals provide 24-hours care.
- Lakewood Regional Medical Center
3700 E. South St.
Lakewood, CA 90712
- Community Hospital of Long Beach
1720 Termino Ave.
Long Beach, CA 90804
- Pacific Hospital of Long Beach
2776 Pacific Ave.
Long Beach, CA 90806
- St. Mary Medical Center
1050 Linden Ave.
Long Beach, CA 90813
The agencies listed represent the most frequently requested services available to the residents of Long Beach. Listings are for information purposes only and are not an endorsement. Hours may vary. Please call during regular business hours.
- Regional Poison Control District
- Suicide Prevention
AIDS & HIV Services
- Aid for AIDS, Inc.
- AIDS Project Los Angeles (APLA)
Alcohol & Drug Abuse Services
- Alcoholics Anonymous
Los Angeles County Info.
- Rehabilitation Center
- Los Angeles County Office of Drug Abuse
Child Care Services
- Children's Home Society
- Family Services
- Los Angeles Mental Health Service
- Teen/Youth Counseling
- Braille University
- California Relay Service
- Goodwill Industries
Emergency Food & Shelter
- American Red Cross
- The Salvation Army
- Sundown Program
Health Care Services
- Los Angeles County Health Services
- Medi-Cal Information
- Medicare Information
- WIC Nutrition Program
- Legal Aid Foundation
- Los Angeles County Public Defender
- California State Department of Veterans Affairs
Los Angeles County
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
Benefits, Information and Assistance
Regional Shopping Malls
- Long Beach Plaza
Parks, Arboretum, and Gardens
- Arboretum - 301 North Baldwin Avenue, Arcadia, (818) 821-3222. Lagoon, giant palm trees, restored adobe, Queen Anne cottage, railroad depot and masses of trees, flowers and shrubs. Explore on foot or take trams. Open daily 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.except Christmas. Fee.
- Descanso Gardens - 1418 Descanso Drive, La Canada, south of Foothill Blvd. County botanical facility featuring Japanese Teahouse, Camelia Gardens. Open daily 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Fee (818) 952-4400
- Whittier Narrows Nature Center - 1000 North Durfee Avenue, South El Monte, (818) 444-1872. This is a 277 acre wildlife and plant sanctuary. Trails. Daily hours 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. No fee.
- Sepulveda Basin Recreation Area - Interstate 405 and Victory, Burbank, and Balboa Blvd border the park (818) 756-8188. 2,030 acre park containing a wildlife refuge, a lake with paddleboat rentals, 18-hole golf course and many other attractions.
- El Dorado Nature Center - 7550 East Spring Street, Long Beach (562) 425-8569. This is an 80 acre semi-wilderness containing garden trails and a nature center with displays of plants and animals, photographs and artwork. Well marked nature trails. Open Wed - Sun 8:00am - 4:00pm.
Within Los Angeles and the surrounding area there are an abundance of points of interest for personal enrichment and enjoyment. Some of the more prominent are as follows:
Los Angeles Municipal Art Gallery - 4804 Hollywood Blvd. in Barnsdall Park. Exhibits contemporary and traditional art. Tours daily at 2. Open Tuesdays-Sundays 12:3--5. Fee. (310) 485-4581.
- J. Paul Getty Museum - 17985 Pacific Coast Highway. Exhibits Greek and Roman antiquities, Renaissance and Baroque paintings. The museum is a replica of an ornate Roman villa. Hours may vary according to season. Free, however parking reservations must be made at least one week in advance; phone (310) 459-7611.
- El Pueblo De Los Angeles State Historic Park - located within the streets of Alameda, Arcadia, Spring and Macy. Historical Landmarks at the city's founding site have been restored. Guided walking tours originate at 130 Paseo de la Plaza on the hour Tuesdays-Saturdays 10-1. Free. (310) 628-1274.
- Pacific Asia Museum - 46 North Los Robles Avenue, Pasadena. Houses historical cultural and art exhibits of the Far East and Pacific. The building is designed like a Chinese treasure house and surrounds a mediation garden. Open Wednesdays-Sundays noon-5. Fee. (626) 449-2742.
- Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County - 900 Exposition Blvd., Los Angeles. Features detailed habitats of African, North American and exotic mammals. The history galleries include antique automobiles, US history exhibits and displays depicting life in California. Open Tuesdays-Sundays 10-5. Fee. (213) 744-3466.
Outdoor Sports Facilities
- Lanark Recreation Center - Lanark Street and Topanga Canyon Blvd, Canoga Park. Multi-use field, swimming pool and tennis courts. (818) 883-1503
- Shadow Ranch Park - Vanowen Street, between Fallbrook and Shoup Ave, West Hills. Facilities for basketball and baseball available. (818) 883-3637
- Knapp Ranch Park - Kittridge Street west of Valley Circle Blvd, West Hills. Tennis Courts, baseball fields, and basketball courts available. (818) 756-8891
- Griffith Park Equestrian Center - Riverside Drive and Main Street in northern section of the Park. This is a 73-acre facility featuring jumping course, conditioning track and indoor arena. 53 miles of bridle trails; rental horses. (310) 840-9063.
The Sports Scene
- Dodger Stadium - 1000 Elysian Park Avenue, North of the Civic Center. Open for baseball and special events only. Baseball season usually runs April through early October. (213) 224-1400.
- Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena - 3939 South Figueroa Street. An indoor sports and entertainment facility. (213) 748-6131.
- Edison International Field (formerly Anaheim Stadium) - 200 State College Blvd., Anaheim, California Angels play mid April through early October.
- Staples Center - 1111 S. Figueroa Street, Los Angeles. Home of the L.A. Lakers (Pro Basketball) and the Kings (Pro Hockey). (213) 624-3100.
- Los Angeles Coliseum - 518 West Santa Barbara Avenue, Los Angeles. The USC Trojans also play at the Coliseum. Ticket information can be obtained by calling (213) 748-6131.
- Rose Bowl - 1001 Rose Bowl Drive, Pasadena. Site of the classic Rose Bowl game each New Year's Day, as well as other football games and events throughout the year. Home to the UCLA Bruins football team. For events and information call (626) 577-3106.
Getting Out of Town
- Los Angeles International Airport - at Century and Sepulveda Blvd. near Inglewood, CA (310) 646-5252. Bus service (RTD) to and from airport is available. For information call (213) 626-4455.
- Ontario International - at Vineyard Avenue in Ontario, CA. For information call (909) 988-2700.
- Airport Express 24 hours to and from all airports, via minibus (714) 973-1100.
- Burbank Airport
2627 Hollywood Way, Burbank
- Long Beach Airport
4100 E. Donald Douglas Drive, Long Beach
- John Wayne Airport (Orange County)
18741 Airport Way, Santa Ana
- Long Beach Transit
- Los Angeles Metro Transportation Authority (MTA)
- Amtrak Ticket Office
- Metrolink, Los Angeles
Ridesharing service is for people who are interested in vanpooling or carpooling. Call for a list of people who are making similar commutes or if you are willing to share your car with someone else. Free Service. For more information call the following numbers below.
- Commuter Transportation Services, Inc.
Popular Tourist Attractions
- Disneyland - 1313 Harbor Blvd., Anaheim
- Knott's Berry Farm - Beach Blvd., Buena Park
- Movieland Wax Museum - 7711 Beach Blvd., Buena Park
- NBC Studio Tours - 4000 Warner Blvd., Burbank
- Mann's Chinese Theater - 6925 Hollywood Blvd., Hollywood
- Raging Waters - 111 Raging Waters Drive, San Dimas
- Universal Studios Tours - Lankershim Blvd.,Universal City
- Six Flags Magic Mountain - 26101 Magic Mountain Pkwy.,Valencia
Points of Interest
- Catalina Island
P.O Box 217, Avalon, CA 90704
Only 26 miles off the coast of Long Beach, quaint, quiet Catalina Island makes you feel like you are much further away--both in place and time. Activities include swimming, snorkeling, scuba diving, golfing, horseback riding, hiking , shopping, dining and sightseeing.
- Hollywood Boulevard, Walk of Fame
Information: (213) 469-8311
Beginning at the famous Hollywood and Vine intersection, proceed in either direction to see pink marble stars embedded in cement. The stars celebrate the achievement of talented personalities.
- Los Angeles Zoo
5333 Zoo Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90027
Divided into continental areas that house over 2,000 animals from all over the world, the facility includes Adventure Island, innovative children's zoo and a 77-acre main zoo.
- Queen Mary
1126 Queens Way Drive, Long Beach, CA 90801
The largest ocean liner in the water today, the Queen Mary can be seen through guided or self-guided tours. Dining, entertainment, and shopping can be enjoyed for one admission.
Huntington, Newport, Balboa, Dana Point, Laguna, Seal, Malibu, Redondo, Hermosa, Long Beach, Zuma, Santa Monica.